Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I told you I was Joe Kid!

As reported in an earlier post, I was a demon on the Dragster and the Yamaha Moto Bike....I also said I was probably guilty of shocking 70's fashion crimes, and now here's the awful proof. Mum, how could you dress me like that? Actually, I think I'm lookin' pretty damn sharp there, check out those oh-so-tight shorts, matched beautifully with the white and brown floral motif shirt. Complemented by the floral motif sissy-bar pad. Look how much bling is adorning my ride though... chrome fenders and chainguard, triple-barrel air horn, 3-speed stick-shift, twin headlights (dunno why I needed those, would never have been riding at night!), chrome front rack, whitewall tyres and white brake and gear cable housing. At one stage I was flying the Jolly Roger flag on the back, too! Then it all got stripped down to nothing, re-sprayed, and thrashed till it died. Then there's the Moto Bike.... look at my ingenuity, with the struts at the back. I think they were probably from some aluminium windows, as Dad was in that game at the time. The fork 'boots' were some old plastic piping I found up at the old dump where we used to ride, mustn't have had enough to make two the right length, judging by the pic. The struts weren't on there for long, I probably realised that they weren't adding any travel, just increasing the chances of my premature death. Either that or I couldn't climb aboard the bloody thing without a ladder. Scotty had one of these as well, and bought another a few years back apparently, which is sitting rusting in his garage today. He proferred this information to me via email last week:

"Yammys came out 74-76. I had a type A, standard seat, forged lower front forks, yellow. Type B had banana seat, silver looking fork lowers and a crank with 3 spider arms. Type C had banana seat and one piece bmx style cranks. I have a rusty 1975ish Yamaha Motobike in shed, not my original bike picked it up a few years ago. Not totally original but what is 30 years on. I thought you'd appreciate that piece of crappy trivia...............Scott."

I do, Scott, I do.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you look old enough to dress yourself in that picture, i dont think you can blame it on your mum.

I like the back rest on the red machine, for when you are returning from a big race and need a place to sleep. The world is your park bench.

freemo.

Anonymous said...

He definitely can't blame it on me. I don't even wear floral! Mum

brettok said...

Maybe it was dad's fault? And I stand on my staunch record of heterosexuality when I say, I look magnificent in floral.

Anonymous said...

We need to see naked chicks on bikes

brettok said...

Do you remember what a naked chick looks like?

Anonymous said...

You look wonderful in floral Brett, it really brings out the colour in your eyes. Did You see that scene in dirty dancing when I was dancing with that chick and I was wearing that shirt? Gosh I loved that shirt!! Good times!! Beautiful memories!! Oh yeah!! I wore a floral shirt during the making of ghost, It was really nice, I think it was silk. That stupid slut Demi Moore spilled coffee on it!!