Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Same hero, different day...

So, you remember the CWH from the other day? Well, riding home yesterday (on a shop bike, hardtail with slicks while I wait for my own beater to arrive) I was drafting a bus along Thorndon Quay, staying out of the wind, when I came up old mate and a roadie cruising along. As I had a bit of speed up, I went past them and said "jump on", which they did. Old mate sat there for awhile, then I told him to do a turn, as I knew we were about to hit the Ngaio Gorge climb. He smashed it up the lower slope and then, as per form, popped when the grade got tougher. I gapped him and then felt obliged to keep it up so I wouldn't look like a 'Gorge road Hero"! Towards the top where I turn off I'd backed off (well, I was stinging a bit and still had more climbing to do) I heard a puffing, wheezing noise behind, and lo and behold he'd got back up to me just in time for me to turn off, saying "nice ride" as I swung into Perth St. Our battles will no doubt continue. I gotta tell him to straighten his damn mudguard though, it cracks me looking at that thing hanging off....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ode to Roadies -
I have a road bike,
It climbs hills
Ilook at mudguards
To get my thrills.


YEAH

Anonymous said...

very good, except i don't have a road bike...just a heavy old avanti mtb with slicks!