Sunday, August 05, 2007

Less mud, more tar...

Dammit, my Stumpjumper just can't get a ride these last few weeks. Well it could, if I wanted to destroy the drivetrain and not do the trails any favours. Every time we have a nice sunny day, it seems to rain overnight, so it's been all road for me. Saturday night it pissed down, so Josh and I tee'ed up an earlyish fixie ride. This was the first time we'd actually ridden the road together after several false starts.
The day was gloriously sunny yet brutally windy. It wasn't too cold, in fact we were peeling off arm warmers and bald-head warmers halfway through the ride. We met up on Oriental Parade, just down from my flat. Josh styled it up with a skid-stop in front of the screaming women who always flock when he's around.

"You talkin to me? Are you talkin to me?" Josh does his best De Niro impersonation, or he's just surprised to see me on the front.

The wind was so strong in places that we were taking turns on the front, slogging along into what felt like a brick wall. But when it was behind us, oh yeah it was nice.

Coming back along Shelly Bay with the wind behind us, we hit 48kmh, and I thought I was gonna bounce myself off the bike trying to keep the legs spinning so fast. Hitting the speed humps, I was getting air and landing it sideways, much to Josh's amusement. By the time I got back to Maida Vale Road for the climb home, My legs knew they'd been turning non-stop for 60k's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brett

Nice work. Can you bunny hop that fixie yet? I tried it once when I came upon an unexpected set of (big f8ck-off) railway lines crossing the road while doing about 40 km/h. It was going well until I landed, not quite straight, and on the second railway line. Somehow, I stayed up, and the rim was not completely screwed. Not that it mattered as I was on a borrowed track bike...

Let me know how you get on.

Carl

brettok said...

Hey Carl... not even gonna try and bunny hop it! How's Colorado? I bet you're not slogging through mud like we were at Makara last night...