Saturday, September 16, 2006

Beers of the last few weeks

No, I'm really not a pisshead! These beers have been consumed over the last three weeks or so, and yeah, I've been a little slack. So here are the latest tipples on special at the local (coz I love a good beer, when it's cheap[er])...


First up we have supposedly "Japan's Finest Beer", Asahi. Now, call me tight if you will, but I baulk a little at paying $70 for a slab of anything, but this was reduced to 60, so I gave it a go. I still felt cheated. Not an offensive brew by any means, but just no get up and go. The bottle is an interesting read though, explaining the brewing process and telling us how good it is supposed to taste. Maybe if they spent more time on actually working on the taste instead of explaining it, it might be worthwhile forking out ridiculous amounts of cash for. 6/10.


Next up we have a local beer for local people. Even though this is Byron Bay Premium Ale, it's largely brewed here in the Hunter by the Blue Tongue brewery. And it's quite a bit better than their own brews. Even though it says ale on the label, it looks and tastes like a lager. Has something that the Japs could use, i.e. flavour! Shared a 6 pack with a lovely lady (lovely because she supplied it!) and it went well with the Thai fare we were devouring. Packs a bit of a kick too. 7.5/10


The TV ads for this beer are better than the beer itself. Not to say that it's bad, just that I enjoy seeing sexy women holding beer bottles in suggestive ways. A nice, crisp, but not very exciting beer, but at forty bucks a slab, why would you bother with lesser beers? 7/10

*These 'reviews' are the opinion of the author, oh right that's me, and don't reflect the views of, oh wait, yes they do...oh I don't know, I'm very, very drunk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do yourself a favor and review Tooheys New for me Brett. At a discounted price of $30 a slab you should be able to pick up some Thai at the same time.

P.S. Make sure you wear a condom