Friday, July 11, 2008

Rollin on the 'Rock

Sometimes the familiar can seem very unfamiliar, which is how it was yesterday when I rode Glenrock with the Kman. While I knew where the tracks were going, how the terrain lies and when to slow down/speed up, what I didn't expect was how the trails have degraded. There are bogholes where before there was only a ribbon of dirt... Upper Kenny has a diversion around some fallen timber which adds to the flow, but there is a huge bog that really needs some attention. But the trouble is, National Parks won't allow any trail maintenance until after the new POM (Plan Of Management) goes through. So it's a Catch 22, bikes doing damage, but bikers not allowed to fix the damage and prevent more. All it takes is some simple drainage to be dug, although Bailey's Paddock has bigger issues, it's still the same mess it has always been. Maybe a bridge needs to go through there. But it's still a fun place to ride, hopefully things will get going on the POM front and the trails can be maintained and problem areas fixed. The ride itself was a lot of fun, I started out riding the Intense 5.5, but the Kman was suffering a bit on the El Mariachi, so we swapped over, and the real fun began. The Salsa (singlespeed, rigid 29er) is a blast to ride. My first real off road ride on a 29er, and it is impressive, rolling over sharp edged rocks and roots with ease... I'd be thinking "this is gonna jar" as I'd aim the rigid steel fork at things a suspension fork would eat up, but the big wheel just seemed to laugh at such distractions. I was having so much fun, when we got back to the car I decided to do another loop then ride the road back to Kman's place. Tonight it's a night ride, I'll be testing out the Nomad this time... or can I resist the 29er?

2 comments:

josh said...

I just had a glimpse into the future. You're spending your next vacation at the 29er fantasy camp, sharing stories of rolling over sharp edged rocks and roots with ease blah blah blah:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008/07/im-back-did-i-miss-anything.html

brettok said...

I'm there! And BSNYC/RTMS seems to think it's cool, so....