Saturday, April 29, 2006

Return of the Old School

What's going on with the music world right now? It seems as though every great and/or influential band from the early nineties and beyond are either making a comeback or releasing new material. TOOL, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Pearl Jam (ok not that great), Beastie Boys, Sonic Youth, and best of all, the legendary Mike Patton's new project Peeping Tom. The first single from their self-titled album is 'Mojo', and after only three listenings, it's making the hair on my arms stand up already. That's how I judge good music. Only the best will do that to me. Mojo contains big hints of Faith No More, with the depth of subject matter and vocal intensity we've come to expect from Mr. Patton (view his incredible palmares here). I can't wait to hear the album, out on May 29. The new Tool track Vicarious is also classic Tool, but not at all stale. These guys are a little bit scary sometimes, not the least for the tightness of their musicianship. RHCP's new song 'Danny California' (I think that's what it's called) didn't do much for me on first listen, but has crept up and burrowed it's way into my head with it's typically infectious Chilli's funk and bounce. And Sonic Youth's new track (?) hit me instantly, that trademark twisted, edgy pop, and the new album is out in June...they are also touring Australia then too....now if only Peeping Tom make the trip, my life will be a little closer to complete.

1 comment:

forty f15teen said...

thanks for the comment, good to know my blog is making it halfway around the globe. Don't forget to check out Built to Spill's new album as well. Another overlooked but awesome band.