Monday, April 24, 2006

It's a small world...

Got an SMS on Friday from Tim, the guy we met out riding in Rotorua, who showed us all the magic trails on offer there. Tim works out here in Gosford, just down the road from us. He ventured up to Newcastle for the weekend, and we met up for a ride in Glenrock on Sunday. I was a little sceptical about whether he'd enjoy our trails, being used to Rotorua and all. But 5 minutes in, he was heard yelling 'awesome' and 'these trails rock'! And we hadn't even got to the good bits yet. We (Christian and Kedan were along too) spent a good 3 1/2 hours in there, and rode some trails that even Christian and I hadn't done before. It was probably the best day I've had in Glenrock ever. And it made me appreciate what we've got here. Tim was even heard to say that he would like to move here, he was impressed with the city as well as the great ocean views as we exited a trail onto the headland at one point. Strange, he wants to move here, and I want to move to Rotorua! Mountain bike cultural exchange program?

With only two weeks to go until the Dirt Works 100km Classic, my physical condition was becoming a bit of a concern for me. I got some training tips from Scott Steward and Dave Perry, two workmates and top blokes who also just happened to be two of the best road racers at a National level in the 90's. So it was back onto the road bike for 3 hours on Saturday, then a solid 2.5 on the MTB yesterday, and will head out for another 2 or 3 on the road today. A trip to Ourimbah for some more singletrack with Tim is planned for tomorrow, Anzac Day. I'm surprised that I feel pretty good on the bike, I guess I have a good base and some residual fitness there somewhere. Whether or not it's enough to survive 100km off-road is anyone's guess though. As long as I beat Col...

No comments: