Monday, July 16, 2007

Seasonal brew

Winter is a great time for a fuller bodied beer, but not being a fan of treacle-like brews like Guinness or Kilkenny, I thought I'd give this one a go... not the least because it was pretty cheap! Speights Old Dark is probably the equivalent of Tooheys Old from Aus, but it says 5 Malt on the label so it must be a bit more upmarket. Or not. But it tastes good, and it has a hoppier flavour than Tooheys. And I like hops. Apparently it goes well with "steamed pudding", but that sounds a bit too adventurous for me. I know it goes well with salt n vinegar crisps, but then again I was very, very drunk...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the pics of mine you posted a few days back were taken at Myra-Bellevue Park at Kelowna, B.C. Took me 2.5 hrs to cycle up to the top of the hill and about 30min to ride down. The top of the park is bounded by the old Kettle Valley Railway which I believe you rode a few years back when you were young. You can check out some more pics at http://jruth.phanfare.com/album/331196 ........and........ the hills ARE mine....forever...

slug

brettok said...

no hills for you! yes, i rode the KVR there.... nice spot. are you back yet?

Anonymous said...

got back this am 0600. Kelly had her bear spray confiscated by customs. Saw 3 of the critters... quite cute really. The last time we were just walking along a footpath beside the road at Whistler last Friday and Kelly notices a pile of excrement on the ground.."hey, Colin, isn't that bear poo ?... and it looks quite fr...(and, now shouting)...THERE'S A BEAR !!!! It was a young black bear 10 yards away munching away in the bushes. He hung around for what seemed like ages, but probably only 60 secs then ran away across the road having been spooked by us and a few other people who turned up.

slug.

brettok said...

nice one Kelly...coz u always need bear spray in Aus... I'm not surprised the bear was spooked, I know how he feels whenever I see you in lycra