Monday, May 26, 2008

What's been happening

around here? Not a lot really, the mountain bike remains stranded as the trails get a soaking, the road bike and the fixie are getting their morning and afternoon rides still, and my keyboard will be getting a bit more of a workout as I've now been made a 'staff writer' for SPOKE magazine. I'm taking over the spot left by Tama, so my inane ramblings can be inflicted on the unsuspecting Kiwi MTB community every issue. What the hell I'm gonna inflict on them, I'm not really sure... maybe I'll talk about the weather, seems like the topic of interest most discussed these days. If only there were riders like <<--- her to write about...

The Giro is going to script (well, the script I predicted anyway) with Contador taking the pink jersey on the second mountain stage. Di Luca is up there too, and things could get interesting in the last week with more big climbs to come, including a brutal uphill TT tonight which should rip the legs off a lot of contenders, with grades up to 18%! The old stager Simoni is hanging in there, I like him beacause he's always having a go, and doesn't mind telling everyone what he thinks. Could be a stink for the pink...

6 comments:

Flametop59 said...

Is being a staff writer a paying gig? It would be nice to collect a check for something you already doing for free.

I am only getting one day of Giro TV coverage. On Sunday afternoon the run a quick recap and then replay the day's stage. Of course before Lance Armstrong we did not even get that and very few shops carried road bikes.

brettok said...

I don't write for free. I've been a contributor for them for a year, now my word rate goes up. Also still do some writing for some Aussie mags, which tend to pay better... just done the Tour de France contenders for the 3rd year running for Bicycling Aus mag, it pays well, lots of words!

Flametop59 said...

That is cool.

By the way who are the contenders this year? Do you think Astana will get a last minute invite like the Giro?

josh said...

The trails haven't been "soaked" up until the heavy rain from a few days ago broke the long dry spell. Got out for some good rides in reasonably dry conditions, and... oh, that's right, we live in the same city! Man up!

lance a said...

Nice one Josh,glad to see nothing changes,the B man still waffling on about how much riding he does but doesn't actualy do much cos THE TRAILS ARE WET or ITS RAINING AND WINDY! Man up sausage jockey,go get some wind through your toupe

brettok said...

Haha nice one! My Toupe has been getting lots of wind, the Toupe saddle on the Roubaix that is.... and I'm being forced to ride up Tip Track today with a bunch if riders I'm doing a story on, so nowhere to hide now.